Veal Cutlets, Italian Style
Recipe type: Veal
- ¼ c. pine nuts (pignoli)
- ⅔ c. packed fresh basil leaves or fresh spinach with 1 tsp. dried basil
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 sm. garlic clove
- ¼ c. Randazzo Olive oil
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. veal cutlets, ¼ inch thick
- ¼ lb. fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 sm. tomatoes, sliced
- ⅛ tsp. coarsely ground white or black pepper
- Basil (spinach) leaves for garnish
- About 35 minutes before serving:
- Prepare pesto sauce: In blender at low speed, blend pine nuts until ground. Add basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, garlic, ¼ cup Randazzo olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon salt; blend until smooth.
- If veal cutlets are large, cut into serving pieces. In 10 inch skillet over medium high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil, cook veal, a few cutlets at a time, until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes, removing cutlets to plate as they brown, and adding more oil if necessary. Sprinkle meat with salt to taste.
- Spoon pesto sauce on veal cutlets; top with cheese slices. Arrange veal cutlets and tomato slices in skillet, alternating and overlapping them slightly; sprinkle with ground pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover skillet and heat until cheese melts. Garnish with basil leaves.