Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- 1½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the potatoes: Place the peeled and cut potatoes into a medium saucepan. Add cold water to the pan until the potatoes are covered by at least an inch. Add a half teaspoon of salt to the water. Turn the heat to high and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer, and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you can easily poke through the potatoes with a fork.
- Prep the butter and cream: While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter and warm the cream. You can heat them together in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Drain and mash the potatoes: When the potatoes are done, drain the water and place the steaming hot potatoes into a large bowl. Pour the heated cream and melted butter over the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Then use a strong wooden spoon (a metal spoon might bend) to beat further.
- Add milk and beat until the mashed potatoes are smooth. Don't over-beat the potatoes or the mashed potatoes will end up gluey.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.