Easiest Brisket With Caramelized Onions
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 4 yellow onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pound beef brisket
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons beef base (or second cup of beef broth)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet melt the butter on medium heat and add in the onions and half the salt.
- Let cook for 15-20 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Once they start caramelizing remove them from the pan.
- Add in the canola oil and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Season the brisket with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Brown on both sides for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the beef and add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and beef base (if using).
- Stir well and add the brisket back in fat side up.
- Top with the onions and tent tightly with foil or a lid.
- Cook for 3-4 hours.