Deviled Egg Chicks
Serves: 12 chicks
- 12 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp dijon mustard*, or add to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced into rings
- 6 black olives
- Peel 12 hard-boiled eggs. With a sharp knife, slice off a very thin layer from the base of the egg - this will give it a flat surface to stand on a platter. Cut off a generous top third of the egg. Squeeze around the egg base gently to loosen the yolk and it should pop right out. Keep the lids paired with their bases.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 12 cooked yolks and mash well with a fork. Add ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 1½ tsp dijon (or add to taste), ¼ tsp garlic powder and ⅛ tsp salt, or season to taste. Mash everything together until smooth. Transfer mixture to ziploc or pastry bag and pipe generously into egg bases. Place top ⅓ back over the base and press down slightly to adhere.
- For the eyes, poke through an olive with a plastic straw several times then gently squeeze down the straw and the little circles of olives will pop right out. For the beaks, thinly slice a few rings of carrot and cut each ring into sixths. Insert 2 olive spots for eyes and 2 carrot wedges the beak. Set chicks on a platter and garnish with fresh parsley or dill to give them that "free range" feel.