Cheese and Broccoli Chicken Soup
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11 cups water
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a 5-quart pot, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms. Remove from pot, and set aside.
- In same pot, combine water, bouillon cubes, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until soup thickens. Simmer 5 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cream. Mix in cheese 1 cup at a time, and stir until melted.