Orange Pecan Baked French Toast
- 5 medium eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread (or multi grain bread)
- 1 generous pinch salt
- ½ cup butter - melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped or whole pecans
- The night before
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, orange zest and vanilla. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and place in a lightly greased 9X13 inch baking pan. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, light brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, maple syrup and pecans. Spread mixture over bread.
- Bake in a preheated oven until golden, about 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Blueberry Cheesecake Egg Rolls
- FOR BLUEBERRY SAUCE
- 2½ c. blueberries
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- FOR CHEESECAKE MIXTURE
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Make blueberry sauce: In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine blueberries, lemon juice, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until thick and jammy, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Make cheesecake mixture: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and kosher salt until fully combined.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface in a diamond shape and spoon approximately 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture into a line in the center. Top with a heaping spoonful of blueberry sauce. Fold up bottom half and tightly fold in sides. Gently roll, then seal fold with a couple drops of water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, pour enough oil to reach 1" up the side of skillet. Heat until oil starts to bubble when a drop of water is added. Add egg rolls and fry until golden, 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 3⅛ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Slice strawberries and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing batter.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl; mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes (test each loaf separately). Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out of pans, and allow to cool before slicing.