- 1½ pounds Baccala`, soaked for 48 hours in cold water which should be changes several times.
- 7 ounces boiled mashed potatoes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 slices of bread soaked in water or milk
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup flour for breading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Sauce for Dipping:
- sauce, olives, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Boil the Baccala` for 15-20 mins. in unsalted water. Let it cool and remove all bones.
- Mash the Baccala and mix with the boiled potatoes to create a soft, chuncky mix.
- Mash the bread slices with your hands and ad to the mix.
- Add 1 egg, garlic, capers, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Create balls with the mix, roll them in the flour, wet them in the egg wash and then roll them in the bread crumbs until they are completely coated.
- Fry all the balls in hot oil all until they are golden brown.
- Serve with a Tomato dipping sauce.
Maple Corn Bread
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the pan 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled 2 cups cornmeal 2 tablespoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 cups whole milk 4 large eggs ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- Heat oven to 425° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk, eggs, ½ cup of the maple syrup, and ½ cup of the butter; whisk together the wet ingredients, then incorporate the dry ingredients until just combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ¼ cup of butter and ¼ cup of maple syrup. After removing the corn bread from oven, brush with the butter mixture. Cool completely in the pan, then cut into pieces.
Stuffed Filet Mignon Bites
- 4 (6 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian dressing
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- ¼ cup minced jalapeno pepper
- 20 slices thinly sliced bacon
- Slice the steaks into ½-inch wide strips. Pound the strips to about half their original thickness. Place the steak in a bowl; pour the Italian dressing over the meat; allow to marinate at least 2 hours.
- Mix together the cream cheese and jalapeno pepper in a bowl; set aside. Remove the strips from the marinade and lay out on a flat surface. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture on each strip.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Remove the strips from the marinade and lay on a flat surface. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture on each strip. Fold the meat around the cream cheese mixture to form a ball. Wrap each ball with a slice of bacon. Secure bacon with water-soaked toothpicks or metal skewers.
- Cook on preheated grill until steak is no longer pink, about 4 minutes per side.