Best Baked French Fries
Serves: 4 servings
- Cooking spray
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into thick fries
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray with cooking spray.
- Place sliced potatoes in a colander; sprinkle sugar over potatoes. Set aside until liquid is released from potatoes, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain liquid and dry potatoes well.
- Mix potato slices, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a resealable bag until evenly coated. Spread coated potato slices in a single layer, leaving space around each potato, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes; flip fries and continue baking until crisp and browned, about 20 more minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- When I cut the potatoes I make 3 cuts lengthwise, so I'm left with 4 ovals. Then each oval is sliced into 3 strips. The sugar releases the juices in the potatoes and allows them to crisp more, so don't leave out the sugar.