Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus 1 teaspoon for dusting berries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (6 ounces), plus more for serving
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sweetened creme fraiche and confectioners' sugar, for serving
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees; set a rack on a baking sheet and place in oven. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions.
- Step 2
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture and stir just until batter is combined. Toss berries in 1 teaspoon flour; fold into batter.
- Step 3
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup batter (this may vary depending on size of waffle iron) in the center of iron, spreading evenly with a spatula. Close iron; cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from iron and quickly toss back and forth from hand to hand to cool slightly and allow waffles to crisp up. Transfer to rack in oven; repeat with remaining batter. Serve with blueberries, creme fraiche, and a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar.