- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper seeded. cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or canned
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and add to the pan.
- Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the red bell pepper and pineapple to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, chicken broth, hoisin sauce and brown sugar.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Mix the corn starch with 1 tablespoon of cold water; stir until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute or until sauce has just thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, then serve
- 1½ pounds Baccala`, soaked for 48 hours in cold water which should be changes several times.
- 7 ounces boiled mashed potatoes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 slices of bread soaked in water or milk
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup flour for breading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Sauce for Dipping:
- sauce, olives, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Boil the Baccala` for 15-20 mins. in unsalted water. Let it cool and remove all bones.
- Mash the Baccala and mix with the boiled potatoes to create a soft, chuncky mix.
- Mash the bread slices with your hands and ad to the mix.
- Add 1 egg, garlic, capers, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Create balls with the mix, roll them in the flour, wet them in the egg wash and then roll them in the bread crumbs until they are completely coated.
- Fry all the balls in hot oil all until they are golden brown.
- Serve with a Tomato dipping sauce.
Creamy Roasted Broccoli Soup
- 5 unpeeled garlic cloves 2 pounds broccoli—cut into 1-inch florets, stems reserved for another use 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted Salt Freshly ground pepper 4 ounces cream cheese 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth Croutons, for serving
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Wrap the garlic in a foil packet and roast for 50 minutes, until softened. Meanwhile, in a small roasting pan, toss the broccoli with the olive oil and butter and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Step 2
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a blender. Add the roasted broccoli, cream cheese and broth and puree until smooth. Transfer the soup to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and serve with croutons.